Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Yo Big Sisser


I know.  What is this, sibling week or something?  But, I've been doing some thinking.  I mean, really.  Why do I like my brother and sister?  Sure, they're family.  But, what about them is great, is unique, is wonderful?  Were they not blood, what about them would make me want to have them in my life?  You see, I think that people should be more aware about relationships.  Being mindful of other people, being knowledgeable about who they are and why you love them, helps to refine your friendship.  And, so I have been thinking about the people in my life.  And, why not start with family?

Leah is my older sister by 10 years.  She is kind and thoughtful.  She is funny without trying.  She is a delightful hostess, wonderful cook, and a great task manager.  Let me elaborate.  If you ask Leah to do something for you, she gets the job done.  She makes the phone calls, she sets the meetings, she takes the notes, makes the coffee, and cleans up afterwards.  She is as reliable as they come.  
And, what a party planner this girl can be.  She welcomes people into her home openly.  If you are hungry, she feeds you.  If you are lonely, she will hug you and love on you until you feel well again.  If you need a laugh, the girl has got some stories (Now, it will take her a long time to tell them, as she is a bit of a bunny trailer, but part of that is humorous, too.).  And, if you can get her to laugh really hard - eyes shut, nostrils flaring, foot stomping - you are nearly guaranteed to pee your pants.  The girl is a good time.
There have been many long days for me this season in my life.  Ryan has had long hours and night classes, and I have been "stuck" with two kids for too long.  Leah is always there to invite me for lunch and even to stay for dinner if we need to.  She makes sure that my kids know that they are loved by her, and I mean LOVED.  She watched Avery for me when I had to work at Starbucks a few years ago.  She did that for me.  She watched my baby so that I wouldn't have to put her in daycare.  Her kids have no idea how great they have it.  She is so supportive of them.  And, Danny, wow, he's got a great wife.  
Seriously, I have never heard someone say anything bad about my sister.  Never.  Instead, they always want to know what she is doing and how she is doing.  Because she cares about people, they care about her.  
Leah is my sister and all of the goodness that comes with being sisters.  We have never fought.  And, I know, we are 10 years apart.  But, I love her too much to ever see her down.  She's my girl.  And just like she used to write on all of those packages she would send to Grove City, she is my BIG SISSER.  
I hope you have some thinking to do about who you love and why you love them.  Gossip all about that kind of good stuff.  Hug them so hard.  Love all over them.  That's the good stuff of life.  Live it.

0 comments: