Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Avery Goes to School



Avery, my baby girl, my three year old, had her first day of school today.  We have been talking about school, driving by school, visiting school since January when we registered, but, I think for both of us, it was a time somewhere off in the distance.  Even last night, it still seemed unrealistically close.  

And, so this morning, we got dressed a lot faster than normal.  I worked on keeping everything as calm and relaxed as possible.  And, by the time 8:30 rolled around and she started asking, "Mama, what-we-goin' do-a-day", I knew it was time to ease her into what was really going on.  School, Avery.  You are going to school today.  Crying, came.  I told her it was a special day just for us, just for Avery and Mommy and Daddy.  The idea of it being something special that we were all going to do together, made it better, for all of us.
When we arrived at "the castle school" as Avery likes to say, there were fun signs and balloons all over.  Avery was asking about a party going on and if we could go.  I will keep it short.  Her teachers were great, her class seems nice (there were 9 kids there, I guess two were sick or something, and it seems that it is half boys and half girls), and she only cried for a few minutes when we went up for the parents meeting.  I fought back tears walking down the hall and during the meeting.  I kept wondering how she was doing.  I was praying for her to mind a friend.  Her teachers said that she asked for me often, but that she played well and was kind.  I think her favorite part was her cubby where she has a shelf and some hooks for her things.  That's my girl.  
She said tonight that she didn't want to go back to school tomorrow, so it is good that she has a day off.  I will report about how Thursday goes when she will be there by herself.  Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes.  She sure is special to me.  

1 comments:

Emily said...

Just wait until you drop her off and go to leave and she doesn't mind. It didn't take long for Eden. I would say "Eden, I'm going now" and she was already off playing with her friends. That part is just as hard. Best of luck. Always in my prayers.