Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mom's Apple Dumplings



I'm a little teary-eyed looking at the recipe for these apple dumplings. I have them on an old card, hand-written by my mother, as a gift when I got married. She used to make them for us for dinner some nights when my dad had a meeting. We would eat them warm, out of the oven, with milk or cream overtop. My brother and I both just love these. Here is something to try as apples come into a wonderful season. PS Skip making the dough and use a frozen pie crust. I won't tell.

2 C. sugar
2C. Water
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 C Butter
2 C flour
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
3/4 C shortening
1/2 C milk

Make syrup by combining sugar, water, spices, and butter. Bring to a boil and cook for five minutes. Let simmer while making dumplings.
Make pastry by cutting shortening into flour, salt, and baking powered. Stir in milk and blend. SKIP THE PASTRY AND USE FROZEN PIE DOUGH FOR A REALLY FAST TREAT.
Cut pastry into 6 squares. Sprinkle with sugar, fill with sliced apples. Fold corners over. Put into a baking dish. Cover with entire amount of syrup. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Fall in love. For a real treat, eat while warm and cover with milk or cream.



0 comments: