Monday, October 26, 2009

I Gotta Take This Call

You know, when God has a call on your husband's life, in any area of employment, that means that God has a call the wife's life as well. In our house, we believe that Ryan has been called to help people who are hurting. Wrapping our heads around what that will exactly look like isn't any easy thing, especially for our kids.

Avery often asks why daddy has to go to school, why he has to work so much, why he can't play all of the time. I was telling her how he is going to be a doctor and that he has to learn a lot in order to be a good one. She flipped out about not wanting him to be a doctor, as she doesn't want him to give shots. I told her he wasn't going to be that kind of doctor, but a doctor who helps people who feel sad, feel angry, feel lost, feel upset with hopes of making them feel better. She just didn't get it. And, to be honest, some adults don't get it. And, being even more honest, sometimes I don't get how it is all going to work out and I just want to say For-get-it.
But, what I do know is that as I trust God with the life of my husband and with my own life, I don't have to understand as much. I don't have to figure it all out. I don't have to make all of the plans. I can just trust and hope and watch as God makes the paths straight. And while I don't have lots of letters after my name stating what I am qualified to do, I know that the support and love that I provide to my husband working towards those special letters is even more valuable.
If I believe that God has a plan for Ryan, that God wants to use Ryan to His good, than I have to believe that God has a plan for me as well. And, if supporting Ryan and helping him to see this dream become a reality is my job right now, I want to do it well. While I may have lots of plans and wishes for my own life, while it is natural for me to want to stay in a comfortable place surrounded by the people that I love, I Gotta Take This Call.

3 comments:

Emily said...

This sounds like my house a couple of weeks ago. Although, Hubby isn't going to school to be a doctor. We believe that his job is God's plan. Yes, I had an extremely hard time accepting that. Then I remembered, I'm the awesome woman behind that man. I'm the one who supports him to the bitter end. That is God's plan. His plan is to make us stronger women. And He has. Man, when are we gonna get together!!!!

Susan said...

I love reading your blog, Bethany. I see your heart and your love for Ryan. I also see your love and obedience to God to be the woman He created you to be. Thank you for listening to the "call" and for being such a supportive wife to my son.

Courtney said...

I have so been there...still there and totally understand...Beyond knowing that God has a plan for your life...know He has YOUR best interest at heart.