Wednesday, June 17, 2009

She's Three




Really, I can't even believe it.  When she turned two, that seemed about right. But three, that's a whole other part of toddlerhood, and I can't believe that she is there already.  What a great time we had today celebrating with her friends.  We are so fortunate to be surrounded by such sweet people, who love us, even when we are bossy (Avery put Amelia in time out today at her party).

The theme was pirates and princesses.  We sent messages in bottles to friends and the invitations were sort of like treasure maps.  I think finding old beer bottles on their front porches was interesting for most moms.  I found all kinds of fun piratey things about - really, more than I could handle.  
But, the best find of all, especially since I wanted it to be kind of girly, was the pink, white, and black pirate plates.  SO CUTE.  
They just pulled everything together.  Avery and I baked her cupcakes.  Chocolate, of course.  She is the original Naked Chef, Free Range baby, as neighbor Liz calls her.  She even helped with the dishes afterwards.  I like having her help in the kitchen.
Avery got to go on a special trip today with my sister, Cookie.  They shopped with Lauren for her present.  She came home with a DVD and bubble gum.  She was thrilled.  And, people, if you want to make a party throwers day, offer to take the kids while she sets up.  SO VERY NICE.  My mom came over early to help get the final touches ready.  Let's just say that without the help of a sister and a mom, this hostess would have been spent before the party even started.  But, with their help, it all came together and I was ready to party.  Once the friends arrived, it became dress up madness.  Costumes of pirates, princesses, and dancers were everywhere.  There was lots of noise, and it sure sounded fun.  We had lunch and some nice talks.  The kids sat at the table in the living room and the moms and babies were in the dining room.  Leah and Jan, also known as Cookie and Mimi, said that the conversation at the kid table was priceless.  We played Walk the Plank and had a treasure hunt. 
 I think the kids had fun, and I know that I did. I put on a movie (piratey for sure) to end on a sort of quiet note.  Some kids were quite, my kid was not.  Right after trying to steal the sleeping bag from Zeke, she lifted his shirt for a big sloppy zerbert.  Those two - Babe and Buddy - are so funny.    
What can I say, we tried.  Now the house is pretty quiet and I am missing those little buggers running around.  I am hoping Avery will have these friends for life.  I love their moms and they are so special to me.  It was our first kid party, and I loved it.  Now, Avery's special day has a few more hours in it...I am sure her dad and I can figure out some fun to have.  
Moms, one great reason why the pirate theme is a plus, you don't have to do your hair.  I highly recommend it, Matey.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday, Avery :)

Emily said...

How fun. Happy Big 3 Birthday, Avery!!! Well done, Mom. I may be stealing that idea for Xzavier's birthday at the end of August.