Thursday, June 18, 2009

Take 'Em As They Come

I can remember it so clearly.  My belly was full of Averyness.  I had so many thoughts about what she would look like, what type of person she would be.  I wondered who she would resemble, what her voice would sound like, how big her feet would be, what color eyes she would have.  Would she have my hair or Ryan's?  Would she be pale like me or have his nice tan coloring?  Would she be a cup half full or half empty kind of person?  The wonderings went on and on.  

And, wouldn't you know it, she is nothing like I imagined her to be.  Nothing.  Not that this is a bad thing.  More like, she is more than I could ever comprehend like of thing.  She is more complex in her looks and her personality than I could have thought.  Isn't that just great?  So, when Emery was in utero, I didn't even ponder much about what she would look like or be like.  I guess I wondered if she would be like Avery more than anything.  And, once again, I am amazed by the little person that Emery came out to be. 
 As with most parents, I am in awe of the wonder of our Creator when I look at my babies.  And, what do I do with this wonder?  How do I respond to it?  How do I respect the Creator?  Well, I suppose I respect his work.  I don't try to change it, try to force it to be something it's not, try to make it into what I want it to be.  I take this child, this little life, and love it for what it is.   

And, it's a challenge for me.  I want to force my child to be the best sharer, the best listener, the cleanest, the nicest, the sweetest, and those of you who know her, know she isn't the best at all of these things.  She does well most of the time, but she's three and we all know what fun that is.  While I want her to pick out the pink shoes, she wants purple.  When I want her to want her hair curled, she likes to mess it up.  The dress she wants to wear isn't what I had in mind.  When I introduce her to some people, she turns her head.  When I want to do something quiet and creative, she wants to run around the house.  It goes on and on.  
What I must remember is that she is her own person.  I am responsible in helping her to learn to make good choices, but I can't choose her life.  Even though she is just three, the messages I send to her about her choices and their consequences (or rewards) are vital.  Will she learn responsibility or rejection?  Will she learn independence of dependence on me for the answers?  
I love my girls.  I want them to grow to be loving, smart women of God.  Today matters.  How I make them feel matters.  The example I set for them matters.  So if you see me around working really hard to help my kids make good choices, support me.  Support them.  Be an example for them.  They are created by my Creator to be what He desires of them...we are all still a work in progress.

0 comments: