Friday, July 3, 2009

Everybody Needs A little Time Away

"Everybody needs a little time away.  I heard her say.  Even lovers need a holiday far away from each other."  Chicago sure had it right, didn't they?  Geesh.  I need a break.  Seriously.  Seriously!  The three year old is driving me out of my mind.  Please tell me it gets better.  Lie if you have to.  Lie away.  

Ryan is taking Avery to his parents for the weekend.  It will only be the second time we have not slept in the same house.  The first time was when I was in the hospital having Emery, just about a year ago.  But, this is the first time she will be leaving me.  I think we are both ready for it and in need of "a little time away".  
I think autonomy has a lot to do with it.  That girl is one independent child, one opinionated, controlling girl.  And, I know this because she gets it from me.  For about the past week we have been trying to control one another and then freaking out because we both feel out of control.  I know that she needs a break from me as much as I need one from her.  
That leaves me and the Em-ster at home, alone.  That means that I am going to have some actual alone time while she naps and sleeps.  What am I going to do with myself?  Here are a few ideas:
1.  Go over to the McCracken home library and pick out a book to sink myself into.
2.  Clean like the dickens and have the house stay "nice" for more than 10 seconds.
3.  Download music, legally.  
4.  Catch up on season two of Gilmore Girls.
5.  Cook what I want to eat.
6.  Go shopping with only one child in tow.
7.  Work on the basement for long periods of time while not entertaining a toddler, who would be making a mess in another part of the basement.
8.  Gather tons of stuff to donate.
9.  Work on some picture stuff - albums, clearing the hard drive of the 1700 photos that it carries daily, practice taking pictures, etc.
10.  Number ten is the most important and so deserves its own paragraph...

Number ten is all about phase two of sleep training.  Emery is pretty much sleeping through the night.  Now we must move her into her real bedroom, the one she is to share with Avery.  This weekend that crib is going to become a haven for Emery.  She is going to sleep in there at all times.  I am even taking down the crib in her closet room so that I will not be tempted.  I want that girl to love that crib by the time Sunday comes and sister is home.  Let's get to work!
So, yes.  I do have high aspirations for this weekend.  I will report back to let you know how it is going.  

0 comments: