Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Puzzle

I suppose I feel that this title of "puzzle" fits for today as I have much to tell you.  We finally arrived home after a 12 hour trip.  Emery decided that she had enough somewhere just past Berkley Springs, WV, about 3 hours away, and cried to prove it to us.  She has never been a big crier, so that was her worst yet.  We all had a great vacation but were happy to be home.  The girls were buzzing around, trying out their missed toys and favorite seats, jumping in their beds, and motoring about.  It seems like they both of gotten even busier in just one week's time.  For sure, Emery is toddling everywhere, making her seem less and less like a baby.  

I last left off with the beginning of vacation and how things were going.  Here is an update over the last few days:
*  Avery now likes boys, much, much older boys.  First, she discovered Matthew, a boy from our pool.  He's nine, I think.  She loves to chase him around the pool, and, luckily, he is really nice to her.  Then, Tyler, my nephew, brought his friend, Jake, on vacation.  He's 16.  Loves him.  She calls them her "big boys".  We're in trouble.
*  Emery is a piece of work.  She loves getting into trouble, looking a me with a smile only to share her head, proving that she knows she is up to no good.  Also, she cries every time I hold Avery.  Jealous girl.
* Ryan thinks he knows why my family has vacation success.  He thinks that we do well because no one relies on anyone else to plan their day.  People just do what they want.  This is good for us because we can then do what we want.  Most of the time other family members follow along, but there isn't any pressure.  It is working for us.  
*  I got great news while on vacation.  MY HOUSE IS BEING PAINTED!  As you may know, we rent our house from my grandparents.  It isn't your normal landlord situation.  Basically, we pay for everything, we are charged rent, and we are responsible for the upkeep of the house.  We don't really want to waste any of our savings on home improvement because it will just be lost money when we move out.  But, as all of you home owners know, a house naturally needs to be spruced.  Well, the grandparents hired my uncle and his crew to do some work.  They painted our back siding, cleaned our gutters, painted our front dormer, painted our main hallways, and are just doing some other painting inside.  I AM BEYOND THRILLED.  I had gotten used to having a really nice home.  We have owned two really great homes before Ryan went back to school, and we remodeled each of those to our liking.  I thought I was going to have to deal with grimy walls for two more years, but no!  Clean and bright, here I come.  
*  I am going to the Weight Watcher points system.  I really haven't been working out or dieting since early spring and I need to get back to it.  I still have 15 lbs to lose and I want it gone.  
*  Water.  I don't drink enough.  This is my August goal.  
* And, the missing link is Avery's sudden sleep issue.  She is freaking out about bedtime.  Last night it took her 4 hours to fall asleep, and that didn't happen until 12:30.  Emery got up three times wondering what all the drama was about, so I put her back in our "closet" so that she could sleep.  I was hoping that Avery would at least sleep in, but she was up and out of her room by 5:30.  Insane.  I have no idea what is going on with her.  My guess is three things:  
1.  she is overly tired from vacation 
2.  she thinks she is hot stuff after being with her big cousins last week 
3.  she isn't getting enough alone time with me.   
I am only hoping this is an isolated event and not a new pattern as I may self-destruct on that little sleep and that much anger.  


That's about all that is going on here.  Piece that puzzle together!  Have a great day.  

3 comments:

Emily said...

It frightens me how much sleep deprivation destroys me. I too hope that it is an isolated event and you get through it soon. Family vacations are the best. The more the merrier. Glad you had a good time. I keep a glass/bottle of water full in at least two places in my house to make sure that I drink enough. Hope we can get together soon.

Jennifer said...

oh I hope things calm down for you soon :( My guess is it's all three of those things with Avery, plus probably a few things you haven't thought of yet! Kids are a mystery, a puzzle for sure. ESPECIALLY when it comes to sleep habits.

Hurray for the house being painted :) :)

Sara P-C said...

hey, glad to hear about the ww points thing. it's how i lost 20lbs a few years back; i'm back to it to trim off 7 or 8 that crept back. enjoy eating what you want!