Monday, July 20, 2009

We're on Vacation

The house, usually filled with the noise of 16 people, is now fairly silent. The white noise of the dishwasher and baby monitor are the only sounds I hear. I am alone with the exception of a sleeping Emery, and it is nice. To say that I feel full, complete, joyous seems vague, subtle. In fact, I am quieted by my blessings. My mind, usually buzzing, is still. And, it is so nice.
We took two days to drive here, stopping in Williamsburgh, VA for one night. The girls did so well. They really only fussed the last half our of our 8 hour day. They didn't sleep well at the hotel, but that was more of my issue than theirs ( I kept worrying that Avery was going to turn the stove on in our suite or escape out of the main door. I tried sleeping with her to solve this, but it only made her more hyper. So, around midnight, they finally fell asleep.) We left after breakfast and had a smooth trip down to the Outer Banks. The house is just great. Every one has a bedroom and we can all sit down to eat. If I may make one recommendation: If you have small children and are going on a vacation with others who may be noisy or stay up late, do yourself a favor and get a steel fan. We bought our fan at Sam's for forty dollars and it is loud enough to block out 6 adolescents playing Rockband. This forty dollars may be the insurance we need for a great vacation.
This morning it was so nice to be around my family. Lots of people were around to cuddle my kids and feed them breakfast. We made bead necklaces, went for a long bike ride, and had some great laughs. I am so looking forward to the rest of the week. I am hoping to take lots of time to digest all that is my family. I want to savor them, allow them to become a part of me and me a part of them. I want to love on my brother and sister's kids. I want to invest in the lives of the people that I love. I want to slow down.
I am amazed, really, by the calmness in my mind. It has been so good to see my husband relax and even be silly. I loved seeing Avery put her arm around Emery in their bike wagon. I feel full. I feel good. Who makes you feel this way?

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh I hope you have a lovely week! The OBX is the best.