Monday, July 13, 2009

Progressing




I know, two posts in one day.  Take what you can get.  I'm in the mood to catch up on technology items and the girls are napping.  I wanted to fill you all in, as I know you await anxiously to hear the BIG NEWS here are our house.  I will start where I last left off, just when Avery and Ryan had gone to the lake.

Well, having Avery at the lake was great.  I needed the break from her, needed some time alone with Emery, and needed to think through a few things.  And her is what I learned while they were gone:
1.  While I kept using excuses like she's three and she's a baby, she's tired and she's teething, etc., the reality of my life is that I have two girls who want my full attention.  And, as you know, it ain't happenin'.  I can't please them both all of the time.  So, usually one of them is unhappy.  Somehow, admitting this to myself has made things better.  I don't make excuses for us any longer.  I just do my best to meet their needs, keep myself sane, and we go from there.  It took Avery being away for a while for me to really see this, our truth, our reality.
2.  Having one child is so much easier than having more than one.  I have no idea how moms with more than two handle it.  It must get easier as they get older, or you just get used to it.  I am not sure, but I give you all some serious credit.  
3.  There are things in life that I just have to do.  I was pouting about the girls having to share a room, how hard it was going to be to have them in there together...pout, pout, pout.  I was really angry about being stuck in this seemingly no-progressive state of our life.  Five years seems like a long time to put life on hold for a degree when you are in the middle of it.  We are half way through, but I still get bogged down by it sometimes.  So, I gave myself some resolve for when they returned that we were going to make this situation work.  Better yet, we are going to make it work for US!  

And, so how have things been going since then.  Here are some highlights of the past two weeks:
1.   The room sharing has been a success.  Emery still gets up around 5am for a feeding, but she sleeps through other than that.  They go to bed at the same time.  We put them in their room around 8 and they are usually asleep by 9.  They do all kinds of singing, talking, and playing for an hour, which is fine with me.  Emery cries sometimes, but Avery seems to sleep right through it.  Our only issue now is teaching Avery not to wake Emmy is she is still asleep.  I will say that it has gone much better than expected.  
2.  Avery gave up her pacifier.  We wrapped them up for the "mailman" to take to the "hospital" for Baby Kate and Baby Steve (we made these kiddos up).  That was four days ago.  We made a huge deal about it, and she fell for it all.  Again, this went much better than I expected it to.
3.  Emery is walking.  She thinks she is hot stuff.  Well, I think she is too!

4.  Avery is swimming like a fish.  She jumps in the water, swims under water, and has even learned how to "breathe" underwater.  I am really proud of her success.  

So, yeah.  We have lots going on around here.  All good stuff.  We are slowly packing for vacation.  Really good stuff.  I will keep you posted on life here in these parts.  What is new with you?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

hey lady :) Finally catching up on blog reading! Don't stress about the girls sharing a room- I shared a TINY room with my sister for 18 years, and I turned out okay ;) Mostly! ha The five years will be up sooner than you think, and then you'll look back and wonder where the time went!

Emily said...

I would lose my mind if it weren't for your blog. How is it you post something that I need? Or that I can relate to my life at that exact time? Thank you.