Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lemon Lover

LemonI have never been a citrus girl until now.  Suddenly, all things lemon, lime, and orange are just lovely.  It all started with a Yankee candle and since then I have found so many great citrus things to enjoy.  I love the freshness, crispness, and color that citrus supplies.  And, it is a great time of year for those attributes.

The Yankee candle is Sparkling Lemon.  My mother-in-law brought it for me a few months ago, really when it was still chilly outside.  While she and my father-in-law played with the kids, I whizzed around the house dusting, scrubbing, and vacuuming.  When I was finished, I put a match to the wick and fell in love.  It smells like every lemon should.  My whole house filled with that fresh and clean smell, even in the girls room, which can often smell of old sippy cups, diapers, and baby dolls.
Then, about a month ago, I was in line at Giant Eagle.  The woman behind me loaded two six packs of San Pellegrino Limonata onto the belt.  They were the faintest yellow in the sweetest blueish-green bottles.  Being that I am always thirsty at the grocery store, these looked especially appealing.  I just had to try it.  When I went back a week later, I picked up one six pack of the Limonata and one of the Aranciata.  I am in love.  First I tried the lemon, delish and cold.  Really liked it.  Then, the orange - wow!  You really must try them.  They are pricey, but I don't drink alcohol, so this is my adult beverage.  
And, since I like the smell of lemons and the taste of lemons, why wasn't I using fresh lemons in my cooking?  I have added those balls of sweet and sour yellowness to some pasta dishes, and they have worked wonderfully especially with chicken and artichokes.  But, the real kicker, came this past weekend.  I wanted to take two fruit pies - a peach and a strawberry rhubarb- to a party.  I added fresh lemon juice to each and the fruit flavors just popped.  I had known about this baking "trick" for years, but never had fresh lemons on hand.  Now, I think I am going to have to make lemons a regular on my grocery list.  
Ah, summer, sun, and citrus.  Doesn't sound too bad to me.

0 comments: