Friday, May 1, 2009

Poo Movement


I have replaced my reading of celebrity gossip sites with the reading of blogs.  I love hearing about the daily lives of real people and their reactions to reality.  I have found that my mommy life - full of creating, cleaning, conserving, and consuming - is not so unique in its uniqueness.  This does not sadden me, but sort of adds comfort and higher aspirations.  

One thing we are working on in our home is being more green.  I know, so is the rest of the country.  And, good for all of us for jumping on this kind of bandwagon.  I was reading my friend Heather's blog and she recommended some great green cleaners.  I have tried a few of the Method products this week and have really liked the Pink Grapefruit All Purpose cleaner and the Eucalyptus Mint Bathroom cleaner.  
And, besides trying to use better cleaning products for my home, I have been thinking about those which I use for my body.  I have never been a shower every day kind of person.  Never.  It just isn't my style.  I probably wash my hair 3 times a week and only blow it dry two of those times.  I haven't worn deodorant (except when it is terribly hot and I am doing hard work) since middle school.  With my mom's breast cancer, I don't want anything toxic being rubbed into my breast tissue on a daily basis.  I haven't used hair conditioner in over a year because my hair just didn't seem to need it.  So, this week, I am attempting to join the no poo movement.  It makes total sense to me from a scientific and earthy friendly side, and I am trying to convince my I-like-to-look-nice side to join in.  I washed my hair with a baking soda solution and then rinsed with a vinegar and water mixture.  I didn't apply any styling products afterward, but simply dried it with a round brush.  It feels really soft and "looks a little poofy", as Ryan said.  I am going to give it a shot.  Some of you may gag, but to each his own.  I will let you know how it goes.  Here is a picture of me now (not impressive, I know, but it really doesn't look much different from my every day, filled with toxins look): 

If you want more details, check out an article or two.  Ryan's going to try it with me, too.  Isn't he a great guy?  Could I be offering up my desire to be as pretty as possible (in the eyes of the world) in order to be a healthier, more responsible to the Earth kind of person?  We'll see.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so desire to be greener. Does your hair smell? I am just thinking of getting my green hair stripped at the end of the summer with tomato juice and vinegar...gag! Is it still soft?

Anonymous said...

Oh, BTW, I LOVE method pink grapefruit all purpose! Their hardwood floor cleaner is great too.

Bethany said...

No smell at all. You only need a little of vinegar. I used red wine the other day as it made the rinse such a pretty pink color. Today I am going to dry the traditional apple cider vinegar. My hair is SO soft. Maybe too soft, even. I haven't used any product either, making for flat hair. I may have to compromise and find some friendly gel and spray. Oh, that means a trip to Whole Foods. Yes.
And, thanks for the tip on the floor cleaner. I need a new one. Did you get it at Target?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment. No, I didn't get a notice, I don't think. I may have to try that. Mmmm Whole Foods. My window shopping luxury! I got the cleaner at...I think Bloom, a market down here. I'll let you know how it goes. I need flat hair, my buffant gets larger as the summer goes.

Anonymous said...

Ok, message me exactly how you do it. I can't do anything without a recipe...well, I'm AFRAID to do anything without a recipe.

Anonymous said...

Bethany, I finally figured out how to join this. Yes, I know, I'm slow! You write so beautifully, when I'm down, (as I was this evening, for no particular reason) your readings bring me up.
Love you,
Jodi

P.S. Mammamac is my AKA, haha.