Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mommy Front

Motherhood can seem a lonely road.  There are many long days of giving and receiving only a sticky handed hug of a toddler or an open mouthed kiss of a 10 month old as reward.  Good thing those tiny offerings of love are pure and sweet and make the endless sacrifice somehow worth it.  I often picture myself with words like "two is a zoo" written on my head, but I am trying to erase those and replace them with something more along the lines of the work is hard but the love is easy.  There is a slight shift in positivity in the latter, incase you missed it.

And while it can seem like an eternity before daddy comes home to offer a hand, I have found another army of comrades to aid in my daily duties.  Moms, gals, sisters, friends are all offering their support and love to me while I raise my girls.  Phone calls, play group conversations, emails filled with cheers, advice, warnings, ideas.  I am surrounded by women encouraging me to be the best mom that I can be.  
And, this concept of many uniting to work together isn't  a new idea by any means but one that I am finally utilizing in my own life.  I would not really say, looking back on my life, that I have ever really been a girls girl.  I have had a few "select" friends that I allowed to be involved in my true life, but most people I held at arms length.  I suppose I always assumed the worst - that I would be let down, that I would discover a gossip, a liar, a fake.  And, this I regret.  I have missed out on many wonderful friendships because of this fear.  I don't want to live an isolated life any longer, nor do I want my daughters grow up thinking this way.  So, since becoming a mother, this is one of the major changes that I have made in my life.  I need women to make a positive mark, to help me understand what is happening, to help me cope, to laugh with me, to teach me about motherhood, to help me work out all of the crazy emotions that I face on a daily, if not hourly, basis.  I need friends.  I need you.  
What a wonderful vision to see mothers joining together in love to raise this generation of children.  I feel more able to do what is right for my family knowing that all of you are with me. And while we band together, not only are we helping one another, but we are teaching our children the power of friendship.  
What do you have to offer to a mom today?  Did you really tell your mom that you loved her last Sunday?  Did you help that mom in the Walmart line when her baby was screaming or did you give her a dirty look?  Have you told that mom of teenagers that she is going a great job?  Moms need encouragement and support shown to them more than just on one Sunday a year.  What do you have to offer?  

2 comments:

Susan's Blog said...

You are spot on with the need for female friendships during this time of mothering. It is so important to be able to connect for support, love, and encouragement as often as you can. It is a very busy job and if you do it in the context of community and connection, it helps so much. Isolating would not be healthy. The seasons of a woman's life always require wonderful supportive women in them, but I don't think there is any more critical time than when your children are so needy. They are little, dependent and demanding. You need lots of replenishment from the women who are committed to you. My offering is one of support, prayer and love. You are an amazing mother and I am here for the emotional support anytime you need it.

Courtney said...

You continue to make me smile, squinch my face in realization and sigh in thought. Thank you. For being vulnerable and willing to not only learn, but teach.