Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Community

When asked where you live, what is your response?  Most people offer a town, a street name, a development title.  Why do we define our life by where we live?  Why do we base our home on where our house is?  I am not brick, or wood, nor plaster and paint.  I am me.  A person.  And I am part of a community.  

My girls and I are very fortunate to have found a wonderful play group.  Today I watched as three moms found safety, found community, in the commonality of their children.  I watched as they took turns talking and listening, showing concern and respect.  And like all mothers must learn to do, they did this while putting together a puzzle, pushing trains, and finding snacks.  Around the room, moms of new babies sat on the floor discussing breast feeding, diapers, sleep habits.  One rocked a bundle of baby in her arms, another played peek-a-boo, and another gently rubbed her sons so soft and bald head.  At the playhouse, one mother played Big Bad Wolf with a group of toddlers.  And, at a group of tables sat even more mothers talking coupons and vacations, doctors and church.  I am a part of this community.
After play group we drive directly to the library for story hour.  I watched a mother help her son pick out his books for the week, another mom read Richard Scary stories aloud to a few kids, and another grandma help her grandson play a learning game on the computer.  In the classroom, a dad danced and sang along with his daughter,  teachers taught us to fish for goldfish crackers with cheese and pretzels, and toddlers counted loudly while wiggling and chatting.  I am a part of this community.
We attend church.  We are a part of a swimming pool.  We go to the gym.  We talk to people at the grocery store.  We know our neighbors. We spend time with our families.  I am a part of all of these communities.  But, it isn't the place that draws me in, that makes me stay, that calls me to return.  The people of these places - they, in their friendliness and uniqueness, in their commonality and character, are why I belong to these places.  I am a part of their community.

I realize that many nice labels of status quo can be attached to a person based upon their home builder, their neighborhood, their zip code.  But, it isn't where they live that gives life.  Life comes from joining in, from becoming a part of, from being vulnerable to a community.   This is where I live, in my life.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff...we live in the vein of thinking that you find community and friendship when you are on mission together. Perfect example you have written. Mother's at the park bond, not because of their backgrounds or favorite designer, but because they like to bring their kids to that park and play. Mission. good stuff b.