Monday, April 13, 2009

Emerging Faith of Avery


Avery is two years and nine months old - an age of complete sentences not completely perfect in their sound or form, a busy body of dancing, spinning, jumping, falling, and tantrumming, and a mind and spirit full of wonder, figuring, and solidifying.  This nearly three world has ups and downs.  Avery is able to sit longer, do crafts, entertain herself, get jokes, tell jokes, but she also whines more, throws more fits, and can even be sneaky.  This age proves for many funny and heartwarming stories concerning the time of Easter and the emerging faith of my little girl.


Before I tell the story, please know that I will do my best to write in Avery speak as to preserve the integrity of the story as well as to remember how sweet her little language was when she is older.  On another note, we hadn't yet discussed any details of the Easter story prior to this.  

Inside the foyer of our church is a huge sculpture of the crucifixion  In bronze is an eight foot Christ on the cross with John and Mary, crying beneath him.   This has intrigued Avery for months.  Just after Christmas, I took Avery to sign up for preschool at our church.  On the way in, she noticed this image and said, "He so sad.  He pray to God".    That night we ate dinner with my parents and she told them, "Jesus so sad.  He thirsty."  What?  How does she know this stuff?  In utero sermons really sinking in?  Are children held in heaven with all of the angels, saints, and higher authorities until being born on earth?  I don't know.  But, I do know that Avery is sensitive to the cross and all of the emotions that a toddler can conger from seeing it.
A few months have passed and we've talked about Jesus more and the cross and who he is and can be in our lives.  Again, I am not sure how much is sinking in or how much could be understood, but the following is Avery's view on Easter.  And, I didn't make any of this up for humor's sake.  She really said the following...
Prepping Avery for church - she doesn't really like being left in the nursery- I was telling her about Palm Sunday.  Our church was having a Palm Parade with palms, a donkey, and all the people who wanted walking around the block singing 'hosanna'.  She says to me, "I take my pon poms.  I be cheerweeder."  I am thinking that a really mod version may want to steal Avery's palm/pon pom interpretation for their newest addition.  The story gets better...
We were in the parking lot of the library, just before story hour, when on the radio "Jesus" was mentioned.  Avery says, "Hey, we know Jesus."  I say, "Yes!  Where does Jesus live?"  Hoping to hear 'in my heart', I hear her say, "At my cool (school)."  We chat about school and church, and I tell her that Jesus lives in my heart and that he is my best friend.  Avery says, "No, he not my beff friend.  My fammy (family) my beff friend."  I giggle, as who doesn't think that is funny and cute?  Then, here's the part that made my chin drop, Avery says, "Jesus just a'tend (pretend).  You can touch him.  No touch Jesus."  What?  Has a faith struggle already started?  How does she know this stuff?
So, the next time we went to church, I picked up the pamphlet next to the sculpture that has pictures of the sculpture, artist info, ect.  They have a close up of John, crying, with his hands on his head.  Avery says, "Who diss?"  I tell her about John and why he and Mary were said.  Avery says in a sweet, sad voice, "He has hands like diss (she puts her hands on her head).  He sad like I sad when I in my bed and you mad because I won't sleep."  Ha, ha, ha.  This kid is a crack up.  She knows transference of emotions.  What will her teenage years be like?  
One thing that I love about Avery is her sensitivity her own emotions and to those of others.  It can cause some worry and fear for her at times, but she is a joy and I hope this makes her a good friend.  And, I must also note that this was one of those moments where I was struck with fear as I realized she is fully able to tell any secrets, like about how I get mad when she doesn't sleep.  
Emerging faith...how is yours growing today?

0 comments: