Friday, April 10, 2009

Bird Feeder

Avery and I traipsed into the garage, looking for our bird feeder and bad of seed.  I had put the seed away in a tin can covered with three lids as last year we found a furry, much dead, critter inside.  This was a rare time for Avery and I, alone, without baby sister, and outside.  We cleaned off the feeder, filled it with seed, and placed it in a nice spot on a medium sized flowering tree.  About twenty birds, even two grayish doves, waited on the fence to see what was going on.  Every time they would come close, Avery would run with yells to greet them.  And, as you know, they flew the proverbial coop.  I was excited to check out our feeder this morning, hoping a plethora of birds had found their breakfast spot for the season, but only found a pesky squirrel hanging on and eating a feast of seed.  Avery and I jumped on our boots, chased the furry rat away, and went back into the garage for plan two.  The bird feeder is now on a different branch with a long wire from which it will hang.  What's the lesson in this?  How does this make my day count?  Well, Avery and I now have a new "thing" that we do together.  We watch the feed our community of birds.  And, maybe even more fun and exciting, we chase away the nasty squirrels.  Bonding over birds...

0 comments: