Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Counting

I'm counting my blessings, mostly because I need to remind myself that I am surround by love.  At times it is easy to get caught up in the search for more of this and less of that, and then find yourself feeling like you are owed more than you have, that you should have it easier, better, cleaner, quieter, prettier.  We all have our cross to bear as they say, but do we really have any idea what it is to bear a cross?  I know I don't.  

Our situation is somewhat unique, at least it seems so to me.  My husband, Ryan, is a full time PhD student.  We have two little girls and I wanted to stay home with them.  How is that going to work?  Ryan works 80-90 hours a week and gets paid like he works 9.  Seriously, if you knew what his stipend was you would either laugh or cry, or both probably.  I know I have.  And yet, somehow, we don't really want for anything.  We are frugal, but I was kind of that way even when we both had full time, well paying jobs.  We did save a lot of that money that we made, which helps, but really I see God providing.  And, I don't mean that we get checks in the mail from strangers.  We get invited to dinner from my family, we love hand me down clothes, we eat and use what we buy, we don't have cable, we only go out to eat for special occasions, etc.  But, what God really did is change our desires.  He has filled us with other great things, which leaves less time for "wanting" and "needing" moments.  Not to say that I don't still want, but I am able to realize that this is just a season for us, just a moment in our story that I can rest in knowing that God called us here and find satisfaction in that.  But, our situation must be unique because I have looked for books, magazines, blogs, etc to find a mentor or just someone to talk to about a similar life, and have yet to find someone.  Maybe one of you can find someone for me.  
So, here are some blessings, just off the top of my head:
1.  My husband has found his calling and is working on his dream.
2.  I have two, wonderful, funny, sweet daughters.
3.  My mom and sister are my best friends.
4.  I get to do yoga and pilates with great people every week.
5.  I am getting stronger in so many ways.
6.  I love to cook.
7.  I am saved by grace.
8.  I have food in the refrigerator.
9.  My family is healthy.
10.  I know my Starbucks drink and get to share it with Avery on Thursdays.
11.  My husband and I are really good at talking to eachother.
12.  I get to stay at home with my girls.

There's a dozen for today.  What are you thankful for today?  How can your perspective be changed?  Counting...

0 comments: