Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Advice

This post is mainly for moms, but dads may chime in as well; however, you will have to listen to some breast feeding talk if you read more. You've been warned. Weaning: I have no idea how to wean a baby. Avery was bottle fed and she move right on to the cup. Emery still loves to nurse. We are at the opening up the shirt and sticking the head in phase. She is now 9 months old, eats table food well, drinks sips of milk from a cup. She is getting up once a night to nurse, usually around 2ish. I haven't made her give that up yet as it really isn't bothering me much. She does still nurse a lot during the day, every four hours or so and she likes to be nursed before her two naps. I would like to have her weaned in the next few months, but want to do it the right way for both of us. I know that I should let her make the call, but I think she is the type that may never give it up on her own. So, I am looking for any and all advice that you parents might have. Good and bad. Send it my way. I have tried to do some reading, but real mom advice seems to work. You guys got me through sleep training, I know you can help with this. Sharing a Room: Eventually, Emery needs to move into Avery's room. We already have her crib set up (it's been in there for a year now), but she have never slept in it. She is in her very little room off of our room now, but it would be nice to her to get moving on out soon. When should I do it? Should I wait until summer, when she may be sleeping through the night? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Is waiting for summer a better idea for sharing a room?

Emily said...

Here is how my weaning went. First of all, I never had an abundant milk supply which I was always annoyed about but, it didn't give me any issues with the supply drying up. Eden got between 9 and 10 months of nursing. I gradually replaced a feeding with formula. We didn't have any problems with the switch, thankfully. She also slept throught the night since she was a couple of months old so I didn't have to worry about a feeding in the night. Xzavier only got 6-8 months and nicely switched to formula as well. I just started by replacing one feeding at a time. He shared my bed with me and would still get up in the night for a feeding. He is 2 1/2 now and will still come to my bed in the middle of the night!!! Not too cool anymore. I like my sleep.
Obviously, you know there is more than one kind of formula. She may not like one and you might have to switch. I wish you the best of luck. I was sad I did not nurse longer. I just couldn't keep my supply up.
Sorry so long.

Anonymous said...

well, i can tell you how my weaning went with nolan, friend, and finn is a whole other story. with nolan, i had it in my mind that i would breast feed for a year, and so like a day after his first b-day i started dropping feedings. i think it was a good age, because he was already down to really about three or four a day. i dropped one about every week, so it was very gradual, and ended with the morning (5-6 am) feeding, which i knew would be his hardest to give up. he did really well weaning, even though i thought he wouldn't. with the last morning feeding, he was sad the first day, but i just took him into the kitchen and gave him a cup of whole milk. worked like a charm. now finn is still breast feeding now at almost 14 months, and loves it. my second time around i have been much more lax on everything, and figure he will wean himself. even though he still wants to, i've noticed my production is way down. i am actually more nervous about weaning him, as he is my momma's boy, but am thinking we will be done by summer. you can ask me any questions about this topic, since i now have a lot of experience :)