Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lake Life


Ryan's parents live on a lake a little less than three hours from us.  It is far enough away that it feels like a road trip but not too far for travel with kids.  We went for a visit this past weekend to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday.  And, I like going to visit my in-laws, I like that my kids love to go, but the real reason that I like to go is because it makes Ryan do this:

No, I don't mean that he carries Emery around and this makes me happy.  I mean that smile.  Between the pressures at school and running the clinic, along with trying to keep our home nice, on top of making time for the girls and I, that smile doesn't come out too often.  Ryan smiles, lots, everyday.  But, this is a special smile.  It is his I am really happy and relaxed at the same time smile.  I just love it.  
Besides that smile, there are many other reasons why the lake is fun.  Ryan saved up his birthday and Christmas money for over a year and bought a canoe.  He just loves to paddle around the lake, watching fish jump, talking to Avery, exercising, and enjoying the fresh air.  Avery likes to ride along but mostly likes that she gets to wear her life vest.  Emery has a matching one and I look forward to the four of us getting out on the water this summer.  Avery also gets to play all sorts of fun things like playdough, hop scotch, sidewalk chalk, tee ball - you name it, and she can pretty much talk her grandparents into doing it.  Emery loves crawling around and watching her sister have so much fun.  And, by the middle of summer, she will probably be able to join in on the activities.  
Now, you might be thinking, but what do you love about the lake Bethany?  I am so glad you asked.  There are a few things that I love, but I will just name my top few.  One, there are two shops that I adore downtown.  The White Picket Fence (so cool cooking, home, and toy store with a very organic, eco-friendly vibe) and Skilmen's (if I am wearing something cool, I probably bought it there).  I save my money for these two stores.  I go twice a day most of the time.  And, this year I am going to be able to ride my cruiser bike down.  I am placing my order for my bell and basket this week.  Look out!  There is one other store in the area that I love to frequent as well.  Good ole' Wegmans.  I just love to walk around in that grocery store, without a list of things I need, with just some time of my own to check out all of their neat products.  It is such a cool store that I bought this great organic t-shirt there last year (actually Susan bought it for me, thanks again).  I usually get sent to Weggies to pick up Sushi for the guys, and I don't mind one bit.  And, the last part that I will mention is something that I discovered along with Corrie, chair wading in the water.  Put your favorite chair a few feet in the water, put your ipod on, and relax away.  
We are going up over Mother's Day weekend to do the "lake chores" all at once so that we can play the rest of the summer.  I like this idea.  Good one Ryan.  And, if you are reading this Ryan, take me to one of those stores I mentioned and let me pick out my own Mother's Day gift.  Sounds like a plan to me.  Susan, do you like this idea as well?  Then, besides all of the other fun times I am looking forward to at the lake this summer, my whole family is coming up to celebrate the fourth of July.  So fun.  
And, this my friend, is an offering of thanks.  Thanks to Al and Susan for allowing us several mini-vacations at the lake.  And, really, thanks to God for meeting even my fun needs and those of my family.  Where do you love to go?  Did you offer a bug thank you to the person who make that opportunity possible (even if it is yourself or your spouse)?  Did you say thanks to God today for something fun that He has brought into your life?  Thanks, God.  Thanks for knowing me, for knowing my desires, and for wanting to care for me.  I love you.  B

0 comments: